Monday, August 30, 2010

Out and About

For the last three days I actually had a social calendar! Friday was a ceremony for my husband at his office. I played dress up in a black and white polka dot '50's style dress with ruby red kitten heels and black pearls, looking very much the part of housewife. I was reconsidering my choice of outfit after a very well meaning colonel began extolling my wonderful child rearing skills, informing a rather large group of people (more than 50), that I was adding to our great Nation by raising such fantastic young people. Those of you who know me would have been impressed by my amazing self control. I did not roll my eyes. I did not even twitch. I kept a smile on my face and said, "Thank you sir" after the ceremony was over.
After that was the gathering at a local pub, where more than twenty people joined us for lunch. There was the discussion of everything from genetics to tattoos that went on for hours.
Saturday was a barbecue for the end of summer at a neighbor's house. An enjoyable evening of talking to other adults (for the second day running!) about everything from baseball and yarn to the current state of the school systems.
Sunday was Darling Husband's birthday and the harvest festival put on by the local Unitarian church. We enjoyed it last year and they run a food drive for the local food bank. Husband was more than willing to spend his birthday in the park, with beautiful weather, in a Ren Faire style atmosphere with friends and family. Afterward, friends took us all out to dinner for his birthday!
It was a very busy three days!
The downside to all this social time is the interruption in my housekeeping routine, which means my Monday has been even less pleasant than usual. Did I mention I found out last night we may be having company for the coming weekend at least? At this rate, I may get time to stop and breathe for a few days during the first couple of weeks of October....maybe, if we don't spend much time at Balloon Fiesta or the festival in Taos. There is also the chance of me getting over excited and planning for Halloween early!

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.