Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Peppers and a blanket

I had been trying to grow some hot peppers this spring, only to have the downpours in May drown my poor plants.  So, I re-planted. 
Chocolate and purple sweet peppers. As well as some black chile peppers I picked up the seed for at the local botanical gardens.
The rest of my poor potted plants look a little sad, or empty, thanks to bouts of heavy rain and high temperatures.
The other thing consuming my summer, aside from the outings we go on that I consistently forget to take pictures of, is working from my craft stash.  Inspired by The Knitgrllls and their Stash Dash knitalong, I decided why of course I could knit 4375 yards of yarn by August!  It would clear some stuff off my needles, maybe make some room in the storage bins.
So I knit a blanket.
The picture doesn't do the color justice. It glows like fall leaves hit by the sun.  And I kind of adore it! At about 4 feet across, it will make a lovely lap blanket when it gets cooler.  A heavier gauge wool blanket probably wasn't the best choice for a summer project, but it's 1100 yards out of my yarn stash.

As part of the work from the craft stash, I also pulled out and washed fabric enough for seven dresses, several skirts (a combination of pencil and a-line), and two or three aprons. The patterns Hawthorne and Ceylon over at Colette Patterns were really responsible for the sewing re-boot.  Paired with a need for new clothes, a true dislike for what the standard available (and worn), plus a shape that requires me to tailor store bought items anyway, may as well make my own right? 
Crash course in advanced and couture sewing techniques here I come!



No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.