Sunday, June 29, 2014

Suffering from a wee bit of lit-nerd upset

Let me state, I am a Tolkien fan. I have been a frequent visitor to Middle Earth since I found The Hobbit at the age of 10.  I even knit and hoard themed knitting patterns.
 I am a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings movies that were made.
I had heard some complaints about the current hobbit movies, but had yet to see them myself...till today.  I finished my latest re-read of the novel last week, so Husband suggested a viewing of the first installation of the Hobbit movies. 

I found myself complaining.

The rearrangement/ addition of situations made me twitch.  Did Thorin really need the extra angsty background?  I rather felt he had enough issues to deal with in the novel.  I disliked the way details were changed (there were lots), it shifted the tone of the story. Was it aimed to appeal to the populace at large?

The scenery was, of course, stunning.  The Eagles were amazing.  Rivendell, a joy as usual.  I loved the actors. I will put myself out there and say, I don't think the Dwarves were too attractive.  The attractive ones, in my opinion, were part of the royal line, shouldn't they be the slightly prettier ones?

All in all, I find myself rather lukewarm about An Unexpected Journey.  I love Middle Earth. I will see all the movies.  I am just a bit disappointed by their "improvements" to the story thus far.




No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.