Thursday, October 27, 2016

More sewing than usual

The glow in the dark fabric I had to have is steadily becoming a dress.  Mostly from pattern pieces from Sew Many Dresses Sew Little Time as well as a pocket pattern from an old skirt pattern.

It still needs it's sleeves and neck facings...and to hang over night so I can hem it properly tomorrow.  The dress looks surprisingly well on considering the outrageousness of the print.  We'll have to see if it's a strictly Halloween piece once it's done.
I put together a choker necklace from buttons, ribbon, and some glow in the dark embroidery floss to go with the dress as well.

I also cobbled together a lovely gray wool skirt with black silk insets out of leftovers from the cloak I made Darling Son (which I still haven't gotten pictures of...so much hemming).  I loosely based it on the pencil skirt pattern from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual.
The skirt ends up being decidedly more 1930's looking with the modifications, which means it looks smashing with the sweater I finished.
The lovely Aiken sweater, whose second sleeve cuff took me a week to finish.  Why, you might ask, did it take me a week to knit an inch and a half of ribbed cuff?  I played yarn chicken....
 and lost.  I had to wait for the new ball of yarn to get here before I could finish it.  Then, in less than 45 minutes of far from strenuous knitting...I had a finished sweater.
The yarn is the beautiful Colrain by Valley Yarns/ Webs in the Burgundy colorway.  Sadly, it's been overcast so the lighting does not do the yarn justice.  This sweater fairly glows in sunlight, it's gorgeous.
But....because I had to wait for yarn, I needed to have another sweater on the needles.  So, now there is a Peregrine decently under way.
It's being done in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes superwash in the Oyster colorway.  I am sincerely thinking about making more of them, in lots of colors.

And then, then there was fabric purchase.  It isn't much.  It's not fancy.  But it is a fabric panel that has all my favorite Dr. Seuss books on it!
I had tried to buy it before, only to be told it was sold out.  I searched everywhere I could think of, and then searched for Dr. Seuss fabric in general...and the only place I could find even one panel was a lovely woman on Etsy (whose business card I've misplaced).  There may have been a sonic boom with the speed with which I placed the order.  I'm thinking I will piece it out and make a larger quilt top out of it.  I can't explain why, but this panel had to be mine.

I also made a...statement purchase, (which is supposed to be here tomorrow so I can't tell you how wonderful it is quite yet), from Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs' Limited Edition section.  Nasty Woman seemed like a purchase that needed to be made.  I'm thinking I will get Palmyra next month.  Smell wonderful and do some good?   Count me in!


No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.