Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Homemade Marshmallows

A picture  of why I am so happy I taught my children to cook!  Beautiful homemade marshmallows.  Also known as one of the indications my daughter really should become a pastry chef.  She is a magician with sweets.
The marshmallows made outstanding nibbles while my nose was buried in The Hunger Games series. If you haven't read these books, please do.  I personally found them highly enjoyable, (they may have brought out a bit of the fan-girl in me).  The books are fairly quick reads(I read the last one in less than a day), well written, and not strikingly soppy or sugar coated teenage drivel (Husband's comment was that, for the young adult category,  they were a bit dark) .  Just for reference I am also fans of Robin McKinley and  J.K. Rowling.  I started the last in the Parasol Protectorate series today, Husband read it while I finished The Hunger Games trilogy. Ms. Carriger is quite popular around our house.  The first and second Girl Genius novels are also doing a tour of the house, the online comic being much beloved.
There's been an outstanding amount of reading going on lately, even the teenagers are flying through novels left and right.  I figure it must be the weather. Lying under a fan, in the heat of the day, and exerting only enough effort to turn pages has been an ideal way for us to pass the last month.  In my case, it's because I read faster if I am not trying to knit at the same time and yarn sticks to your fingers when it's over 90*F.

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.