Thursday, August 9, 2012

Scotch Eggs and Why Socks Are Good For Insomnia

About a week ago I gave in to my husband's request and had a go at making scotch eggs . They weren't difficult, just a bit fiddly.  I would have taken pictures, but they disappeared rather rapidly. Everyone in the house has an outrageous fondness for them.
Most of this week has been devoted to functioning on almost no sleep.  For some reason lately, my brain has decided that actual sleep is optional.  This is detrimental to my knitting.  I can push myself through most of my day, but the fine motor skills required to wield my needles suffer.  To the rescue comes the plain vanilla sock!  I have a two gallon bag, the yarn in it weighed and wound, to make pairs of ankle socks.  Mind-numbingly simple, don't even need a pattern, easy to fix if I make a mistake, yet much needed by me type socks.  The kind of knitting I normally avoid during the day as it tends to put me to sleep. 
Today, I am mostly avoiding caffeine (difficult), instead sipping a tisane of lavender, mint and chamomile. There are plans for a  lovely warm bath this evening, then dragging my behind into a freshly made bed, to knit slowly and steadily on my very uncomplicated socks until, thought processes beaten into submission by determined lack of attention and use, I finally manage to sleep.
Wish me luck.

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.