Friday, December 21, 2012

Happy Solstice!

I decided that today would be the start of the holiday festivities.  This lets me make all the lovely edibles I planned to make that caught my fancy the last few months and brings a little joy a bit earlier than expected.
One of the pretties on my list to make was this outstanding eggnog cake over at Sprinkle Bakes  I suffered from a lack of sugar cone to adorn, so I melted down some white chocolate, printed out a stencil, made a mess and liberally applied sprinkles. My frosting is pastel green instead of pink and I may have given it a bit of a spray with edible gold paint after it was all assembled.  It's still one of the best decorated items I've ever produced (even if I did actually throw the candy snowflake pieces at the sides of the cake).
We also made truffles.  I made the base last night, the kids rolled them this afternoon...and I may have hit them with the edible gold spray as well.  It's so much fun to play with!
A bit free-form in the shape department, but outstandingly tasty.  They are a modified version of these  golden snitch truffles
There's also a plan to make a mulled red wine cake to go with Christmas dinner as well as some of my favorite Greek almond cookies...and then eat leftovers through New Year's day. ;-)

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.