Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Trying another something new

This morning, after much deliberation, I decided to try the "no 'poo" thing. That's right. No commercial shampoo in a large plastic bottle for me. I got my hands on a couple of lovely triangular glass bottles in Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago. One is frosted looking and green, the other shiny and blue. Both are so dark as to look black in indirect light. I had a bottle of apple cider vinegar with nettle and rosemary steeped in it for just this purpose. With everything all ready to go, I didn't have any more excuses. I mixed up my stuff in the lovely bottles and proceeded to pour baking soda solution on the roots of my hair. After a minor wait accompanied by a rinsing, the rest of my hair got a vinegar rinse, followed by another minor wait and another rinsing. Then it was business as normal. I was worried that my hair was going to end up a tangled, greasy mess, but so far the results have been decidedly positive. This is very much a good thing. Even little things that mean fewer chemicals (in me and in the water) and less trash, count for something. It doesn't hurt that this particular experiment also ends up being a frugal endeavor as well. My waist length hair uses mass amounts of conditioner on a regular basis. Commercial stuff gets pricey. Apple cider vinegar and baking soda, not so much. Conventional shampoo has been one of those things I've been leery of getting rid of. I make soap, body and face butters, scrubs and face masks no problem. The idea of having manky hair was just too much of a consequence. Till now. Maybe all that raw food has gone to my brain!

1 comment:

Ummm, honey?? said...

Dear Miss Juney Fu -

If someone was going to recommend the "no poo" approach to a friend who is allergic to sulfites and most of the other icky things they put in shampoos, could you post some details about how much and for how long and so forth??

I'm sure my itchy headed friend would really appreciate it.

You're biggest fan!

Twinkle Girl

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.