Monday, October 21, 2019

Winter Gardening and An Unexpected Sweater

With winter temperatures hitting before many of the trees had lost most of their leaves, cold weather measures had to be implemented in a hurry.
The front porch now houses what is left of the surviving summer garden:
Mints, aloe, calendula, geraniums, a few avocado seedlings, and some of the heavier vegetable greens.
I pulled the squirrel planted peanuts:
We actually got a solid handful of full grown peanuts! Once fully dried, a few will be set aside for planting next year.
The winter window sill garden got started and is already starting to make a showing:
Most of what I planted are from the container section of Urban Farmer.  The rest of the small army of pots lining my craft room windows are random, slightly less common (or even rare) herbs like Toothache PlantTerroir Seeds has a good selection of pretty much everything really, but I really like their stock of currently less well known herbs.

In the midst of all this dirt flinging, husband announced that a burlesque troupe we were both interested in seeing was going to be in town at the beginning of November, should he get tickets?
I said yes, then immediately wondered out loud what I should wear.  Husband laughed, pointed out that it was why he had been looking at shows in that time frame and said he figured a month would be long enough for me to figure it out, but I could wear "those boots".
The outfit started with "those boots,"  a pair of boots I don't wear near as often as I would like (high heels don't figure largely into my daily wardrobe) in an oxblood red.  I had been figuring on wearing my Ripple Crop Top, but the yarn I was making it in didn't match the boots.
So, I bought the Ripple Crop Top Worsted pattern, found yarn in the right gauge and color to match the boots, ordered the sweater quantity and got to work.
That gold thing?  That is The Dragon's Tale I started....in 2014? Early 2015?  Guess what I decided I had to finish because it would look amazing with the outfit?
The Ripple Crop Top Worsted?  The colorway is KnitPicks Merlot Heather, I lengthened the body (just a smidge) as well as the sleeves (it's Idaho in November):
Yes, it looks under-sized.  It has been tried on.  Husband was properly impressed.  At some point, well styled photos will be taken as proof.  Once the skirt I plan on wearing is suitably hemmed, (it's currently still a pair of pants), the outfit will be complete!

Back to the other three dozen projects in progress!

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.