Sunday, August 9, 2020

Neutral Headspace and a Pumpkin

 First, my backyard has hit threat level pumpkin, (a bit earlier than it should have, oddly appropriate, but I planted super early.  I'm hoping more blooms will set fruit now the worst of the heat seems to have passed.)

I've never grown pumpkins before.  Definitely a novel experience.

There are also lovely sweet peppers, (that likely won't be sweet as the plants got mixed in with hot peppers. Yay for cross-pollination.)

And it was actually hot enough, long enough for my Hatch chiles to set fruit!

One of the things I've started doing this season is seed collection.  Coriander off the cilantro plants that bolted.  Nasturtium, snapdragon and dianthus flower seeds.  Beans, peas, lettuce, chard, tomatoes and cucumbers.  Carefully dried and tucked away with the rest of the Seed Hoard, which is almost exclusively heirloom varieties.  I have proper Kitchen Garden goals.

As for maintaining a neutral headspace, which is all one can really hope for at this current point in time, the plants help.  They require pretty much daily tending.  Seed collection is time consuming and fussy.  I can, so I do not waste the opportunity to do so.  I am hoping it will enable me to spread more of the plant love later.

No, I am not optimistic that the current administration of uncompassionate, self-serving politicians will pull their heads out of their collective backside to maybe manage a functional bandage slapped on ever growing problems in the next month or less.

But that offers the opportunity for dramatic change for the better for the majority of the actual populace. 

Current practices (and whatever weirdness they potentially escalate into) are not sustainable.  That is what gives me hope.  Things have to change.  Things must change to improve things, for everyone.


No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.