Sunday, October 11, 2020

In my defense, clothing is important for many reasons

 The agitation is back with a vengeance, complete with "all laundry must be done at all times" side effect that even I find a bit odd (and my family kindly puts up with).

So I once again took up the seemingly endless quest to Get My Wardrobe Sorted Out.

Could I find something practical, possibly historical yet (slightly) more elegant than my much loved cargo pants?  Lo, and behold, there is a 1910 Cycling Skirt pattern, that will have added pockets, in the Hoarde (it is an all encompassing type sort).



  I have a v-neck henley, bought months ago, that I finally put on and promptly proclaimed it perfect.  Why couldn't I draft a pattern from it to make shirts in colors I actually like?  Ditto with sports bras.  (Haven't worn a proper underwire since....April?)

Shapes picked, my brain moves on to colors and textures, nothing too sleek or shiny.  Sales pages are combed through; a wool blend here, a cotton in Tim Burton-eque black and grey stripe will be ridiculous and practical.  Black stretch linen?  On sale? Please and thank you!  (Not all the fabric is here yet.)



Close to three months of pondering pieces, collecting materials...mustn't forget bra hooks...and I  almost have things pulled together.

And these are just the sewing projects.

With Fall making itself felt, hinting at the bite of the Winter to come; I started daydreaming about (at least) knee high, hand knit boot socks.  Visions of cabled cardigans and coordinated winter sets ( hat, cowl, and mitts [Moonlit magic and Raven Queen]) dance across my minds eye: one Haunted Mansion themed, all purples and acid green; the other gothic/celestial in black and cream with pops of a bright cornflower blue.




The patterns, all acquired on one whim or another, do not all match, (the hat for the Haunted Mansion set is a recipe by me cobbled together using charts from the cowl). They do harmonize, either through the theme of the pattern itself, or the colors chosen to work the piece.  

The real thread that connects of all these bits and bobs?  I like them. They they make me genuinely happy.  And if I am busy working on all these projects...I  am probably not doing laundry.

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.