Friday, March 12, 2021

It's been a year...


Miss Zoe's pandemic routine appears oddly similar to her pre-pandemic one.

There was a mask burning on the Idaho State capitol steps last weekend.  They put out a list of businesses you could go to and they wouldn't make you wear a face covering or social distance.  Awful lot of people seemed to think it was a good idea, made it a family outing.

We didn't leave the house all weekend.  I still haven't.  Husband had to for the internship. (Yay, graduation requirements.)

Mostly, I've been watching the masses take up hobbies: gardening, baking, needlework of all sorts.  Welcome to the club!  Woohoo! (yelled from the top of my project stash that will keep me busy for the next decade)

I took up basic brewing. We tested my first test batch of apple cider yesterday.  The result was good, but not quite where I wanted it to be, so I futzed with it and am letting it sit again.  Obviously not in it for a quick boozy item as it's a bit of a time sink.  Really just wanted to see if I could do it.

The group complaints about burnout, cooking and otherwise, I whole-heartedly understand.  A year is a long time!

But I don't feel like I can participate. This is not the first time I've had to stay home for extended amounts of time;  either courtesy of lack of funds, location or small children.

So I retreat.  Without any sort of miraculous way to make it easier;  I make stuff.  I frequent social media even less than before, mainly to avoid other peoples keening lament for "when things go back to normal"  or discussions about day or evening pajamas.  (Put on clothes you can work in, not leaving the house does not mean sits on ass all day).  I pick up my phone when I absolutely must (frequently forgetting where the damned thing is) and vent my issues, quietly, to less than a handful of people in a tiny corner of the internet where it will mostly go unseen.
Then, I go back to drinking my tea, eating homemade trail mix and working through my personal Project Mountain, while waiting for outdoor gardening weather and a chance to get vaccinated.

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.