Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Taking Another Run at Sewing

 I was watching AmyBeth and her joy over her new overalls the other day.  It was the idea of using contrast fabric as facings that got me. So I bought the pattern. And their Stasia and Ashland dress patterns as well.  Apparently the '90's vibe was too much for me to resist.  (I also may not have tried very hard to stop myself, they would all look smashing with my Docs)

Just the idea of using fabrics that maybe aren't entirely expected to be used for clothing?  Glow in the dark celestial patterned overalls with silver metallic facings?  Yes please!  Sensible, plain black overalls with woodland garden themed facings?  Woohoo!  Add in some colorful hedgehog fabric to make a 1910 cycling skirt, along with black satin patterned with roses and you have my latest fabric order arrival. (Though I honestly am not certain what I am going to do with the satin, but my goth heart needed it.)


I also have fabric for a cream/tan pair of overalls, but the floral print I bought for the facings hasn't gotten here yet.  As well as a black background floral jersey for an aforementioned Stasia dress.

There has been the ironing of many, many yards of muslin so I can make mock ups of the cycling skirt, a self-drafted v-neck tee shirt with 3/4 sleeves, and the ladies shirtwaist from 1917.

For a bit, I sincerely worried over clashing decades; would it limit how the pieces worked together, should I have chosen more visually or historically "appropriate" fabrics, were these articles of clothing I would actually wear?

Mostly, the pieces go together surprisingly well, all are practical, easily styled pieces that have been worn (in some variation, and store bought) repeatedly by me for many moons, as well as meshing nicely with my knitwear.  As for the fabrics, they make me happy.  They are inoffensive, albeit a bit twee, and paired with solid color pieces, they become less dramatic, but still fun.

Admittedly, any large enough left over fabric bits will likely be made into ballet flats to match.  This is a feature, not a bug.  I may have started adding a little extra to fabric totals so I have the option to make matching shoes.

I am more properly excited about sewing than I have been in ages (I am actually willing to clean out my closet to make sure there is room for all the new pieces).  Allowing  myself to mix the old and new, a bit ridiculous looking, yet entirely practical, feels amazing!  

Fashion be damned.  I'd rather have style (that I made up).

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.