Tuesday, July 27, 2010

For the sake of homemade beauty

This morning my face is green with honey and clay. My hair is also green, coated with henna and piled in a great mound on top of my head. Time was spent yesterday over a double boiler, melting and blending cocoa butter and coconut oil, creating a golden liquid that will keep my skin healthy and (hopefully)wrinkles to a minimum. There is a bottle of witch hazel on my bathroom counter that is now a deep, mossy shade of green, courtesy of the green tea and bee pollen that was added to it almost two weeks ago.
Each ingredient researched. Small batches made to test. Pretty jars bought to hold the larger batches when a recipe works.
It takes a bit more thought and effort to make these items. It takes truck loads more will power to not pay attention to all the commercials. Fancy containers with contents promising to make me look like the luminous woman on the screen. Then, a little voice in my head starts in with things like: well, yes, she's lovely,but I would love to see her without her makeup artist, hairstylist, and the photographer who insists on perfect lighting.
I like to think she would be prettier without them.

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.