Sunday, August 5, 2018

Speaking up...and also I grew an avocado

So, I was scrolling through Instagram this morning when I came across a post from Isabelle (@fluffyfibers)  It got me thinking; why shouldn't we be allowed to openly express our views and be makers?  What is wrong with taking the stand that people are not things and we should speak up for those with no voice (to badly paraphrase Sir Terry Pratchett)?
Isabelle is far more eloquent than I, so I highly recommend reading her post.

Craftivism is a thing.  I have participated.  It is not fringe behavior, nor is it really edgy or even new.
There are millions of knitters and crocheters and weavers and spinners in this world. Many of us are already connected on some platform or another. We are global. What sort of change could fiber artists make if we came together on that sort of scale? What could we accomplish if we joined with other makers?

I personally think making societal change and knitting socks at the same time would be amazing.

Also, avocado seedling!

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.