Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Getting enthusiastic about sewing again

I was watching the latest The Fat Squirrel Speaks (episode 274),  where AmyBeth (of whom I am a huge fan) was discussing making "house pants".  These pants were wide-legged, with an elastic waistband and huge pockets.  One of the pairs was made from an old bed sheet!  I went and looked at the pattern, but they didn't have my size and I liked flow of AmyBeth's cropped versions better.  At first I went looking at 1930's lounging trousers, but realized they just weren't as full in the leg as I was imagining and were maybe a bit long (which wouldn't be hard to fix).  I still wanted something a bit more skirt-like.  Then I remembered a pattern I had purchased from Reconstructing History!  I could easily modify the 1910's Ladies Cycling Skirt to have pockets and a partial elastic waist!  Practical, supposed to be worn with boots, and  historybounding?  Fantastic!  I am also pretty sure I have the supplies to make one (or three).
While nobody in the house shares my enthusiasm, I may have been sketching out mods and making notes on the pattern over dinner, one can hope this feeling will carry on for a bit so I will not only be able to make my modified cycling skirts... but also finish all my sewing projects...from last summer.

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.