Friday, July 17, 2020

Just Add Dirt

We bought a melon from the store.  As I was scooping out the seeds, I found myself wondering, "Would these grow?"  So I saved a small handful, rinsed them, dried them and put 'em in a small jar.  But three of them...those three I walked straight out onto the back patio and stuck in a pot of dirt (where other seeds had refused to sprout) then finished putting together dinner.  Now, now I have two seedlings from those three seeds.  Not a bad germination rate
That rather large and lush green thing obscuring one of my the melon seedlings?  That's a potato.  It was at the bottom of the bag, going green and starting to sprout, so I plunked it in the dirt.  It's now a solid foot tall, getting larger daily.
We were preparing some sweet potatoes for dinner one night.  Daughter trimmed off ends (I'm not allowed near sweet potatoes with sharp implements anymore) that were just starting to show sprouts (the sweet potatoes were still fine for dinner).  So....I took the sprouting bits, grabbed a grow bag I had bought last winter, filled it with dirt and chucked in those sprouting ends.
Now, I am apparently growing sweet potatoes too.   Yes, I know they are too close together.  I hadn't really properly planned to grow any potatoes at all this season.
My cream of the crop squash (that I wasn't sure survived the squirrels) has at least one squash:

And one of the pumpkins survived the squirrel invasion as well!
Ummm, y'all?  I am running out of patio space.

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.