Thursday, April 23, 2020

My Life Really is Plant Themed

Some of my absolutely favorite floral prints are from Victorian rugs.  The rugs are frequently done in shades of black, gold, cream. deep red, and forest or moss greens.  There may be one in my living room.
I bought a shawl pattern today because it was inspired by a favorite flower, hellebore; a plant that also resides on my front porch.
It's the second shawl this month I have purchased for that reason.  Frenchie,(who is awesome), released the Sakura Shawl.  Who doesn't love cherry blossoms? 
Hope Spring Eternal was also released this month, (yes, I bought a lot of patterns this month.)  Honestly, a sweater with plant and root on it? Fabulous.
Then I saw that the Flower Buds Cardigan was published.  Definitely my aesthetic.  Simple, useful and plant themed.  I do adore a good cardigan.
Then....I found Wolfberry Knits, who has at least one pattern that makes me wish I had a knitting machine, because I love corvids about as much as I love plants.  Happily, there were a couple of hand knit sweater vest patterns that were outstanding.  One is the Winter Tree Vest.  The other is the Brambly Vest.  Having recently re-discovered my love of a good sweater vest, the discovery of those two patterns was lovely.
Lest you think I only knit plant themed items, I would point out I also purchased the pattern for Ripple Buttshorts and a hat titled Omgwtf2020.
The hat is the only pattern I had yarn in the stash for.  It is a skein of Blue Moon Fiber Arts Yaksi in their True Blood colorway that I bought a couple of years ago, then couldn't figure out what to do with it. 
Which means I totally ignored the two dozen other projects already on the needles, most within arms reach, and cast on the hat.

There is even a black faux fur pom pom in stash to top it when it's done.
This obviously means yarn research is in my future.  Yarn appropriate to the pattern gauge, fiber content I like, in the correct color palette (to match my existing wardrobe and mental concept of the piece. I rarely knit an exact replica of the original.), as well as in a reasonable price range.  It's a lovely way to fantasy knit.  I have a little notebook so I can write down pattern names, colorways, yardage, and prices to come back to later as availability and budget allow.
Do I need more yarn right now?  Not really, but that's like asking if I need more plant seeds or flower pots.  Would I say no to these things?  Highly unlikely.

No comments:

Started a new blog

  Oooh Shiny! is now on WordPress.  There isn't much there yet, but I will work on that.